Today is my birthday, today I am 30 years old! Holy crap! I honestly didn’t think I’d make it to 30. I dreaded turning 30. Friends always making fun of me, teasing me about WHEN I hit 30 it’s all down hill from there. They can now call me old. I teased and taunted them leading up to this. I’m the youngest in my small group of friends. I’m the most mature though. 🙂 hahaha!
Currently I am in Las Vegas. Jade asked what I wanted to do for my 30th birthday and the first thing out of my mouth was LAS VEGAS! I don’t gamble, I rarely drink but something about Vegas draws me to her every year. We are probably at this very moment in the car on our way to Red Rock Canyon for a cheers to 30 and some desert time before heading over to Valley of Fire to do some hiking. THIS is exactly what I want to do, hit a huge milestone in the middle of the desert. I only wish a few others were here with me but we will plan our own trips… for now. Douchepants!!!
I wanted to do something different for my big 30 yrs young celebration. I’ve made a little list of 30 things I have learned in my 20s to welcome in my 30s.
If the last 10 years are any indication what my 30s will be like, I’m in for one hell of an adventure.
30 things I’ve learned from the last 10 years (my 20s)
- Losing touch with your friends is ok. The ones that are really worth your time and love will stick with you through thick and thin. One phone call and they’ll be there.
- Health, your health, is the single most important thing to you, take it seriously. Your body throws signs at you all the time, go with your gut.
- Education is not necessarily in a classroom, get out and see the world.
- Whiskey is good!!
- Crying is ok. OWN IT! Everyone cries, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. It’s a sign of strength, not weakness, to cry in front of others.
- Try. You can’t say you’ve done something or hate something until you’ve tried. How do you know you can’t do it until you do? TRY
- Coffee got me through the latter part of my 20s. I love you coffee!!
- Not everyone is going to like you, that’s ok too. Difference of opinion makes the world go round.
- Honesty. Be honest with yourself and others. People can see through dishonesty. If something is bothering you, tell someone, let it out. You’ll feel better. Don’t hold back.
- Scars are good reminders of where we’ve been, what we’ve done, both emotional and physical. Own them. Show them to the world.
- Animals hold the secrets. I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned from observing animals in the last few years. If you open your heart up to it they will show you what it is you need.
- I STILL don’t know how to make pancakes. I fuck them up to this day.
- There is no secret key to happiness, happiness is the journey. Live the life that makes you most happy.
- Tell loved ones how much they mean to you everyday, you will lose more and more of them as time goes on. Be there for loved ones.
- Everything you thought mattered when you were 20 doesn’t… can you remember anything from when you were 20?… me either.
- Being an introvert is a-ok. You can be the quietest person in the room but your magnetism will draw others to you.
- Forgive. Forgive yourself, forgive others. No sense dwelling on the past. You can't change others, only the way you react to situations.
- I am addicted to tattoos. I started my 20s with 1 maybe 2. Now I have sleeves, leg pieces, chest tattoos (YAY VEGAS) etc. Art is art.
- I like kids more than I thought I would. My nieces and nephews mean everything to me, as much as they piss me off, they make me laugh in the same breath. 🙂
- Seek out new music. Music defines and reminds you of a certain part of your life. One song can remind you of a moment in time.
- You may feel like you are always drowning but you’ll surface eventually. Trust the process. Lean on others.
- Inspiration is everywhere, those who inspire you, reach out to them. You’ll surprise yourself.
- Your friends will become your family. No words spoken, you’ll just know.
- TRAVEL!! As much as you can, travel with others, it will test you. If you can travel with others you can do anything (trust me).
- Naps are the Best. Thing. EVER!!!!
- Nothing stays the same. 🙂 Everything is constantly changing, you will have to change too. Change is growth. Growth is good.
- Stop running from your problems. Face them head on, You’ll be better for it in the long run and braver. It won’t be easy but you can do it.
- Stop lying to yourself. Trust the words you say, and believe in yourself. The hardest most difficult chance we take is being honest with ourselves.
- Loving yourself is hard, hating yourself is harder.
- Trust your Journey!!
Some days are harder than others but you have to believe this is the path you are meant to be on. This past year was pretty rough, but I had/have some amazing friends and family there to support me. From family listening to me bitch about my job or where I live and the circumstances behind it to the road trips with your best friends where everything goes wrong but it’s still the BEST trip of your life. To being incredibly sick that you are whisked away to the hospital every other week. This was all part of my journey, yeah it sucked a LOT but it was also so fucking awesome. I did a lot of personal growing this year and everyone around me has something to do with it, thank you thank you thank you. I seriously love you all. 29 was a kick ass year. I can’t wait for 30… and beyond.